Saturday, May 30, 2009

How Can I make It Fat?

I wonder what others think when they hear the words ..."How Can I Make It Fat?". See, I heard those words on a gospel CD, sure did. I love gospel music ...am playing it as I type. My favorites are BeBe and CeCe Winan. I will never go without listening to the old school gospel like James Cleveland and the Williams Brothers. I even like BET's Sundays Best, although I do not like Kirk Franklin. Yeah I said it. Some don't like Jamie Fox and I think he's a great talent so I think it's okay not to like Mr. Short Frog. Come on now, yawl know that boy can't sang and he's way over the top. Now, I do like some of his music ...oh yeah. There's just something about that dude that doesn't set well with me. Speaking of contemporary gospel music, there's an artist, Kenny Smith, that I love. Well I've only recently been turned on to his stuff. Mary Mary is cool too. I am probably too old and out of the loop to understand the significance of the phrase how can I make it fat. I am thinking it's a street drug reference or a sexual reference. I heard it on Smith's song How Much Longer. Yeah, at first I thought someone had slipped me some satanic worship mess, it got my ear. Yeah, the song was titled how much longer and the song started with "how can I make it fat" ....I am not going there *lol*.

They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. For the most part that is true. Yet, sometimes the apple falls from the tree and rolls down a steep hill. I had two great parents. My mother sang in a traveling gospel group called the Marshallaires. For all the parents that wonder if they raised their children in the right fashion, after one of them found the low road, I would say that it's not necessarily the parents fault. Sometimes the roots of the tree can be real strong but the winds blow in all directions. I had two great parents. I would also say that all goodbyes are not gone.

That wayward apple sometimes falls in a stream and floats away, but sometimes it's picked up by a hungry bird. That bird pecks through the good parts and drops the seeds into the mouth of a volcano which spits it out ....charboiled and hurt. Sometimes ....sometimes that seed falls upon a fresh new soil, ready to be replanted - born again. If the original birthing tree was sound and solid, the DNA will not lie.

I love gospel music. The messages are so powerful. Even the titles of the songs can take me somewhere, for instance ...Celebrate New Life ...It All Comes Down To Love ....Born For This. I KNOW there are a few people that feel me on this one! Words are so powerful and the right words are king. I do listen to some rap music but I wouldn't be writing this kind of post if rap music was the subject.

This post was going to go in another direction but I am going to do something different today and stop this one right here (there Rich

Yep, a nice short post that fits right where it belongs. I however will give a hint of the direction I was thinking about taking this post. What do you think about when you hear Fort Dix? What? The Marines, boot camp or the Iraq war? Well, none of those thangs were on tap. They have something going on down there that inspired a post that would have destroyed this one. Maybe I shouldn't say it would have destroyed it. It would have changed the flavor.


Do you like gospel music? What thoughts come to mind when you hear Fort Dix? Where did "Hey buddy, how can I make it fat" come from?



This new post is busting to get out. I know this is a Saturday and most take off from the blog world but maybe a few had nothing better to do than visit CareyCarey or just stopped in to say hello. Whatcha say?

2 comments:

jjbrock said...

Carey I am a gospel music fan... I love me some Kirk Franklin:"Behold The Lamb OF God" "Silver and Gold",etc... now I don't believe his gift is in the area of singing but more so as a worship leader and exhortation.

I don't like Jamie Fox singing at all to me he just can't sing.
I didn't like Mahalia Jackson version of "Amazing Grace" but love the way Aretha Franklin did it.

I am old school gospel and I love and grew up listening to quartet singers like Sam Cook when he was with the Soul Stirrers(I grew up with this being played in my home all the time)Lee Williams,Mighty Clouds of Joy, Slim and the Supreme Angles, Willie Neal Johnson,Willie Banks and The Messagers,etc...My step father was also a quartet singer.

At this stage of my life I am enjoying worship music more:Michael W Smith, Hill song,Nicole C Mullen, Maruette Brown Clark,Casting Crowns,CeCe with-out BeBe and Juanita Bynum.

CareyCarey2 said...

Well jjbrock, it looks like nothing gets pass you. Did you notice the name of my blog? Yes, Albertina Walker did "Carry Me Home".

*lol* It looks like I said something wrong when I mentioned BeBe?

So, you are more into praise music. I have Redeemer, The best of Nicole C Mullen.

I will assume that you have in your collection Shikanah Glory & Anoited. I love the voice of Oleta Adams, her Holy Is The Lamb would be considered a praise song.

Dang jj, I don't want to spoil my imagine *smile* but since no one read this post except you and I ...I have Gospel Trax so that I can sing along with the music. Yep, I can become Fred Hammond and sing When You Praise or Richard Smallwood and sing Center Of My Joy...."When I am all alone you are the hand to hold" "you're the voice of my family and my home"

Who knows jj, one day we might sit down and sing a duet.