Friday, December 18, 2015

Sweet Drops Of Rest

Patience is man's best virtue - that's what they say. Well, I doubt if I'd be considered of moral excellence, but I'd like to think I have some admirable qualities. Yet, patience is not my best virtue. I've known for some time that it's been hard for me to accept delays and inconveniences without complaint. I hate waiting in long lines.

So I love sweet drops of rest. I love a good thunderstorm. When it rains I sleep like a new born baby that's nursing on it's mother's breast milk. I am full and content and the world is my oyster. However, one day, many years ago, a thunderstorm caught me by surprise. I lived in an area called the corn belt. Life was good, jobs were plenty; everyone could get a job. The home offices of major farm implement companies were in the area. John Deere was there and so was International Harvester. The Case Company was nearby. They all make tractors and combines. I could look out my window and see the smoke billowing from their foundry's. Blacks folks could even get a job. Some of the work was very hot and very dangerous.

The Companies raw materials and finished products were transported by railways and river barges. The barges could be a nuisance. The bridges on the Mississippi river had to be raised so they could pass through. I hated the trains, there were hundreds of them and many of them passed through the city.

Having lived in the area for some time, I sort of became accustom to delays, sort of. Well, I knew the times in which each manufacturer would likely be shipping out large orders. Train traffic slows down at night, the loud whistles can disturb the peace. Without failure, early in the morning the loud roar of train engines and their warning whistles permeated the air. On my usual route I had to cross three different train intersections but I had a plan worked out. A plan of action was necessary because these were not small engines and several were used in unison to pull hundreds of box cars. Waiting for a train to pass could mean being late for work and the boss didn't play that. My plan involved timing.

One day my lover, Mrs. Thunderstorm didn't love me anymore. Well, she threw a wrench in my game. Did I mention the fact that the area is frequently visited by tremendous tornadoes? Yep, it is. One morning while I was on my way to work, my progress was impeded by trees in the street and downed power lines. I could weave through the down branches and drifting garbage cans but trains were stalled across several tracks. A tornado had come through overnight - my time schedule was shot. I became annoyed waiting in line and decided to take a different route. My lack of patience took me to a place I will never forget.

I thought I'd be clever and go through the white part of town where the trains were not so prevalent. It was a longer route but I thought I could gain time if I didn't get arrested for being a black man on the wrong side of town.

Don't most funerals take place in the afternoon? I didn't know what was going on but I turned a corner and again I was stopped by a long line of cars. This time a funeral procession was passing. The deceased was in a horse drawn carriage. I didn't know the name of the deceased but the person was popular -very popular! There must have been five hundred followers. So, while waiting, I noticed a pay phone. I got out of my car and called my employer. I told him I was going to be late and might as well take the morning off.

As my patience wore thin, my curiosity peeked. I was wondering who this person could be that had so much family or so many friends. I decided to follow the procession to where ever they were going. After driving several miles it was obvious this was not your ordinary run of the meal type person. I found myself in a secluded area. I parked away from the gathering crowds and slowly approached them. They all were dressed in strange attire - several were crying. One said if the deceased had only waited he'd still be alive. Others questioned if he jumped to his death. I stuck out like a sore thump but I had to find out the identity of this person. I walked closer to the crowd that had gather around an open casket. At first I thought the person had died from a broken heart because I heard one saying "all of those men couldn't put him back together". When I heard another say that he had no business going up there, I realized he had fallen to his death .

As I was about to peek my head through the crowd to get a look at the person, I heard children begin to sing. I thought I heard the words king and horses, then I heard the sounds of car horns. The children continued:




..." Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall/ Humpty Dumpty had a great fall/ all the kings horse and all the kings men/ couldn't put Humpty back together
again"

I woke up to the sounds of someone taping on my car window. I was still in my car waiting at the train tracks. Sweet drops of rest. The thought of a passing thunderstorm must have put me to sleep and my impatience took me on a ride to Humpty Dumpty's funeral. I can't wait for another thunderstorm. Maybe next time I'll be the president of the United States. Well, maybe I should think about that?

19 comments:

Solomon said...

Very funny Carey, I've learned by now to have enough patience to get to the end of one of your stories before I start thinking I know how the story is going to turn out.

I've developed a lot of patience over the years, because it seems I've done more than my share of waiting.

I have come to realize that if I have patience, everything will always work out. I didn't always have these kinds of patience, and I was always counting my chickens before they hatched. (from humpty dumpty) lololol, but that will never get a brotha anywhere but in more mess.

Well, everything will always work out, except maybe the ending to one of your stories. lololol

FreeMan said...

Hey I read it all the way through thinking this cat really loves to sleep! When you need to rest you ain't joking! Good One!

CareyCarey said...

But Solomon, did you have any idea where the story was going? I mean, did the title give it away. A friend of mine would say that when it rained while we were at work. We couldn't work in the rain so we found a place to sleep (we found a place to hide)

@ FreeMan, the story really happened. I do love thunder storms and I did fall asleep by the tracks. In case you were wondering, I've never been to Humpty Dumpty's funeral *lol*. Yeah, I will get my sleep, I don't even play with that.

Anonymous said...

I've read most of your lifes stories. You've lived an eventful life but this one had me thinking you had lost your mind. I couldn't believe you were following a group of strangers to a remote site :-(. I have to admit you pulled me in with this one.

that was an excellent post, you have skills

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

You are too funny, I was SO HOOKED! I thought you were either going to look in the casket and find that it was someone you knew or I thought that you would realized that it was your own and wake up from a bad dream.....

Great story my friend.
PS I carry pen and paper at all times. There is always something or someone to write about while standing in line (smile)

Love and hugs
Mz. Butterfly

Ferocious Kitty said...

Love, love, love your voice, as always Carey-Carey!

~Deesha

CareyCarey said...

Well well well, look what the cat drug in, Miss Kitty & Miss Butterfly.

Hello Kitty, I must have talked you up. I visited your site yesterday. You do what you do very well. I couldn't leave a comment because I don't have any baby momma drama or delinguent support payments :-). Since your site is sort of a "answers" spot, I do have one problem. I have an "ex" in my church and she's cramping my style ....HELP!

Miss Butterfly, we are even. Well, it's not often that I get a chance to take a policeman for a ride. Usually they tell me to watch my head and get in the car.

I am not going to change my name for you but just for today you are The butterfly that thought it was a catfish. You swallowed the bait *lol*. Welcome back.

Ferocious Kitty said...

LOL, Carey. Why you pissed that lady off when you know you got to see her every Sunday??? At least you're safe in church. The worst she can do there is give you the cut eye, right? ;-)

Thanks for stopping by the co-parenting site. Feel free to drop some wisdom on those commenters! I'm going to add you to my blogroll on my personal site as soon as I work out some technical difficulties...

Take care!

CareyCarey said...

Okay Kitty, I started to add my 2 cents but I sort of thought it was a closed site. You know, like a closed AA meeting :-). But now I am thinking who better than a man that was married for 35 years to add a little spice to the pie. If not only through my mis-steps.

The problems of co-parenting is unique but being a good parent runs the board. Yeah, I see a lot of finger pointing from each side of the co-parenting aisle. Sometimes I just want to line up both of the parents and give them a big pimp slap. Now I will not pimp slap your visitors *lol* but I might just drop a little wisdom. But you do know, Ms. Kitty ....I will keep it real. I don't know if I should say thank you for the invitation or to tell you to be careful what you ask for *lol*.

Are we there yet? Is your book ready or what?!

CareyCarey said...

Btw Deesha, if you would, why don't youu tell my visitors what co-parenting is all about. I have a few visitors and some of them are single parents. I know for a fact (because I've read their posts) that they've had some dificult times with the babies daddy or the babies momma.

I never thought about the religion angle or the other women/man at the house when "our" child is there. It gets deep doesn't it ... "I don't want my daughter to eat this or that when they are at your house" ...."I want my son raised as a Catholic and not one of those baptish" ..."who's going to pay for this private school?"

Keith said...

Hillarious Post and eye opening as usual. It is said that great minds think alike. I too love thunderstorms and have the same reaction...Unless I'm making love, I can sleep like a baby through em.
I love it when it's raining and thundering and I have the window
open slightly and the breeze and tiny drops of water just strike my forehead.

CareyCarey said...

Yeah Keith, you could jump in my spot and no one would know the difference. I read your post on "thunderstorms, it was a great piece.

I laughed when I read the part in your comment about love making. I have a friend that is scared of thunderstorms. She was raised by her grandmother who turned off all the lights and prayed in the middle of the floor when storms passed through.

Not to tell my business but one night the storms were lighting up the sky and she didn't blink an eye *wink*

Man, are we weird or what? I love to move the bed or couch close to an open window and let the rain sprinkle my face. I'll set the alarm clock to catch a good storm ...don't want to sleep through it.

RiPPa said...

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan!

You got me. I was waiting to findout just who this man loving famous dead white guy was.Umm, you forgot to mention that weed was more potent back then hence the...

CareyCarey said...

*lol* @ RiPPa, man, if you don't stop peeking in my windows. A joint and a cup of coffee WAS the breakfast of champions. 150 dollars could by you a pound of it - Weedies.

Mizrepresent said...

Ummm, not quite sure what to make of this...good story though, lol!

Ferocious Kitty said...

Carey,

Down south, we used shut off everything when it stormed, and the grown ups made the kids sit quietly. I never understood that. Also, they (old folks) said that if during a storm the sun peeked through the clouds, the devil was beating his wife...

Anyway! Short answer to your request: Co-parenting is what people with kids do after a break up when both remain actively involved in their children's lives. At our site, my ex and I encourage parents to do this cooperatively, with as little conflict as possible--to put their differences aside for the kids' sake.

Ferocious Kitty said...

Somehow I missed your other comment, Carey...

You can comment, or if you want to guest-blog that would be cool too. I have a series coming up..."Co-Parenting and Dating: Boyfriends and BabyMamas", about dating with kids and an ex in the mix.

Or you can blog on another subject that you feel would be of interest to co-parents.

I recently answered a young (age 21) woman's question about whether she should continue dating this guy who has 3 kids with 2 women. Of course I could only comment based on what she told me, but a man's perspective on this would be great (my ex isn't as available to comment on the site, unfortunately). Here's the post; see the comments which follow:
http://coparenting101.org/2009/06/05/co-parenting-and-dating-boyfriends-and-babymamas/

Finally, my book isn't ready because the book PROPOSAL still isn't ready. I go back and forth between the proposal and building up the site.

Thank for your input/interest, Carey!

~d

CareyCarey said...

Ferocious Kitty, re: guest blog. I think I can work with a few of your ideas. I would love to do something like that. My input would come from 2 perspectives. I was/I am a co-parent (haven't told that part of my life story) and as a "widower". My eye would be on the effects on the children when someone other than their "mother/father" is in the company of their parents. Also the effect on the new "mommy". My son has been slow to adjust to seeing me with another women. Co-parenting has so many threads!

Since my children are grown and can talk to me, I think I might be able to add an interting dimension.


@ Miz, I don't know what you are on today but you know i intend to find out. I know what it is. Since Sweet Lips Louie has been holding you down, you want to talk all crazy to CareyCarey *lol*

Ferocious Kitty said...

Looking forward to it, Carey!