Friday, July 3, 2009

Endowed By Their Creator

There are some blogs I read every morning. With my cup of coffee and breath left over from the night before, I sit down to gain a little wisdom and possibly enjoy a few laughs.

Once such blog is http://postpostracial.wordpress.com/. The blogs host is PPRscribes. She's an excellent writer with a great mind. I would suggest having her with your coffee.

Several of her posts have inspired mine. Today the beat goes on. This morning I stopped by and read something that I don't really think I've ever read. At least it didn't have the same impact as it did today.

The other day I asked 10 people if they knew what the 4th of July is all about. When it was all said and done, they all basically said the same thing, "nope, not really". There's usually one person in the crowd that will speak with the confidence of a brain surgeon and tell you that they know the answer. Well, one such person stood up and said, "who doesn't know what the 4th of July is about, it's the day the slaves were let free, that's why we always barbecue". Oh really?   I don't think so.

I have to admit that I didn't know all the ramifications behind Juneteenth and the 4th of July. And sue me. But if you like interesting, thought provoking pictures (great pictures) and a little cream in your coffee, stop by PPRsribe's site. I think your day will start on a good note. I know mine did!

8 comments:

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Thanks for the tip.... I'm headed there now!

Love ya
Enjoy your weekend and "Behave" (smile)

Ms. Butterfly
Thanks for the "great" comment on my Women in Blue post.

CareyCarey said...

Miss Butterfly, I know you will enjoy her site. She's a friend but she's nothing like me. Well, we have a few common interests but she's more serious than me. She doesn't tolerate foolishness and mess yet doesn't run from it nor points fingers. See, I say that because I can be ...well, you know, and she still talks to me :-).

RiPPa said...

You mean the 4th of July wasn't the first time slaves had a family reunion and shot off roman candles?

Oh the horror!

CareyCarey said...

No RiPPa, slaves better not be seen wit dem big boom-booms back din. See, Big RiPPa, I know you needed to read this post. Now you can stop taking your children and your barbecue to the undergroung railroad for a moment of silence.

Yeah man, that negro got all indignant when I told him he was wrong. You would have thought I'd pulled a babyback rib right out of his mouth.

Hey, much love for highlighting that other post!

PPR_Scribe said...

LOL @ Carey! Thanks for the nod and for the comment you left over at my place. I admit that I have not always been one to keep the origins of holidays in mind as I celebrated. But I have tried to do better in middle age--You know, older and wiser and whatnot.

By the way, I happen to love the Declaration of Independence as a piece of writing. It has such a wonderful, poetic rhythm to it and the language is beautiful.

Even as we critique the hypocrisy that it embodied at the time (and currently?) we can appreciate the literary quality of it and the hope that shines through.

CareyCarey said...

I agree PPRscribe, it was an excellent piece of literture.

All the things you mentioned >>> ..."It has such a wonderful, poetic rhythm to it and the language is beautiful" ...is what caught my eye.

I feel that you are somewhat moderate or reserved in your commentary on some issues and I understand why. I think it's safe to say that your voice would be different behind closed doors But I believe your reasoning for posting that piece was two fold. The pictures attached to the post led me to that conclusion. The Declaration Of Independence could have been writter by several cultures. All the highlighted reasons for separation still are present for so many people. Your post hit me on so many levels. Hypocrisy is a good word.

Strongblkwmn said...

So the slaves decided to celebrate their freedom by umm having a barbecue?

CareyCarey said...

Nawl Ol'strong black one, too much celebration would have gotten them barbecued.

Nope, there freedom just meant they didn't have to run so fast to high-tell-it out of there. Besides, it wasn't like freedom meant food for all. Have you ever tried to barbecue dandeline greens?

But hey, the way the economy is today, we don't want to hurt the pork business. Keep our little secret amongst ourselves.

Listen, I am telling you know, I want a signed copy of your book when it rolls off the press - K!