Sunday, July 5, 2009

Samson & Delilah, Bill Clinton & Monica, Steve McNair & The Woman ...Love-Lust-Marriage-Consequences

I've heard it said that Samson was an individualistic rabble-rouser seeking to satisfy his appetites. Bill Clinton said he didn't have sex with that woman. Many are saying Steve McNair was a good football player and a good man. James Brown said it's a man's world. I am sure we've all heard the phrase, you reap what you sow.

The other day I was reading a journalistic commentary on the courts decision of the complaint brought before them by white firefighters. The journalist opened his essay in somewhat of an apologetic nature. It was almost as if he was asking forgiveness for telling the truth. Well, today I feel like that journalist because I have some things I want to say that many may not want to hear.

I am sure their are women of power that have been tempted by men and consequently, found themselves on the outside looking in. Off the top of my head I can't think of one. Steve McNair, a former NFL MVP and father of four was found dead laying next to the dead body of a woman. They were the victims of gunshot wounds. It's been reported they were in a relationship. Relationships come in various flavors. I have a relationship with my daughter and my sons. The relationship between my employers and I has at times caused me grief. I don't know the exact nature of the relationship between Steve McNair and the woman found with him but it appears their relationship cost him his life.

My significant other didn't show sorrow for him when she said, "that's what he gets for playing with a young girls heart". I wasn't so quick to pull that trigger. Maybe it's the man in me protecting the "rights" of another man but I asked her how do we know he was playing with her heart? I even got a little indignant and told her she knew nothing about his intentions, She said he was married with four children. I fell deeper into my protection of a man I didn't even know. I asked her if it's possible for a man to have a female friend and that friendship be of mutual consent, thus, getting what they both agreed on. Is it possible that not all relationships are of a usury nature? She admitted that was possible, yet in this case - not likely.

Days before the fatal incident, Steve McNair and his companion were stopped for a driving violation. They were riding in a car they co-owned. She was the driver and was given a DUI citation (driving under the influence) . Mr McNair was seen taking a taxi from the scene.

The more I carried the heavy flag of equal rights for all men and the protection of their world, the more I sunk into the quicksand of nonsense. I had no solid foundation in which to place my argument. If I desired to turn a blind eye to the seemingly obvious, I could remain in self imposed delusion.

In the world of addictions it's agreed by most professionals that the recovering substance abuser relapses into their old habit long before they take their drug of choice. It's a given their behaviors prior to that consumption will send them back down a road to their eventual death. Has Steve McNair always had a penchant for young girls. Sure, the woman was of legal age but will women under 20 be a fair match for a worldly men in his mid thirties?

In the movie The Color Purple, Mister told Celie's father that he gotta have somebody right now. Celie's father replied ..."I can't let you have Nettie, she too young but I can let you have Celie, she ain't fresh tho, she spoiled - twice.

Steve McNair has 4 children. Somewhere in my heart I didn't want to believe that Steve McNair needed something new - something fresh - something so young!

Again I heard the voice of my girlfriend turned new morning opponent. She said he has probably been doing "it" all his adult life. She even hit me with the old "where there's smoke there's fire".

She continued to pound me. She asked why McNair would be any different than Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, Wilt Chamberlin, and the rest of the NBA penis slingers. I don't like losing debates but I was quickly losing ground. So I reached in my pocket and pulled out a low blow - I reached for the bible. I told her that Eve was the first to bite from the forbidden fruit. She was seduced by the serpent and then tempted Adam. Can I lay my argument on that foundation? Would it be the truth to say that Steve McNair is the victim? Or did the hunter get captured by the game?

The truth is there are now consequences and burdens laid upon the lap of Steve McNair's wife and children. The children are now faced with the task of going through life without a father and his wife is left with so many questions. Who's at fault and what's the truth? I am sure many have opinions.






4 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

Well Carey you touched on a lot of things, an i am sure many folks will have opinions, but the real tragedy is that there are 2 people dead, somebodys husband, brother, father, son, and somebodys daughter, sister, friend. We can only read them like we see them, they were having an affair, now who pulled the trigger it's still left to be seen, but the autopsy will do it's CSI's job and we will know by the next week. Will this stop others from creeping, probably not, but that side stash/piece should seem a little less inviting when you think of consequences like these...just saying.

Solomon said...

There ain't no side piece worth all this, what NcVair and his girlfriend got. I've always been one to try and avoid the drama, and situations that could spell real trouble down the raod.

CareyCarey said...

Hello Miz, I think it's time for me to say, ...we don't know we are in until we try to get out. I didn't know which way to go with this issue. You said it, I touched on a lot of issues. I joked about this issue because as you know, I've been there. I've looked down the barrel of a gun being pointed at me by a women.

@ Solomon ...yeah, it appears he got broke off a little sumptin-sumptin. Would/will we feel differently if it's found that he was separated from his wife?

Would I be wrong if I started singing ...it's cheaper to keep her or there's no place like home?

RiPPa said...

Whew!

You ended that perfectly.

You're right, what is the truth.