Monday, August 9, 2010

Yeah You! You're Acting like A Pawn! You're A Role Model.


Yeah You! You pecker head! You’re A Role Model... For Blacks and Whites.

Do you see that man in the picture? That’s Troy Johnson, he’s the webmaster and owner of AALBC.com




It’s the worlds largest online bookstore that focuses entirely on black literature. It’s a wonderful place. This post, and it’s title, are not about him. Yet, I need him today. He inspired this post. I’ll get back to him.


Btw, please excuse my blog voice, but I am going to serve this up in my black militant flavor. I wonder if I should pitch this rollercoaster from the front or from the back? I think I am going to start from the back end. Well, I mean I am going to move ahead in time.


It’s November 6th 2012. It’s the year of the presidential election. I hear jubilation in the streets. Boss Hog and his boy Barney Fife and his Tea Party can be seen chugging down a few beers. There’s a horde of Brooks Brother suits bellying up to the bar. A fight breaks out in the street. A bloodied black man is pulled from a pile and handcuffed by police. When questioned by the police, the black man says... "Those white guys over there.... over there in those suits, they said , you dumb ass nigga’s have this assimilation shit down pat. You had us down, you should have shut you fu*kin mouths and then they started hitting me".

**A voice from across the street answered the pitiful cries of Little Black Sambo... **
Didn’t you Uncle Toms know that game was made to be sold and not told.
Didn’t you notice that Republicans only voted bipartisan when the issue was
about war. Didn’t you realized that when you voiced your constitutional right to
run your mouth, we knew that some of you freedom riders would ride right into
our trap. We bought and sold you dumb ass niggas. You always did love the rope.
It looks like the pigeons have come home to roost. You’ve been hanging
yourselves. Too late now mutherfukers, guess who’s coming back to
dinner!
We made you look, you dumb ass crooks. You took you eyes off the real prize. You were too busy talking about each other, a fake ass budget problem and white women . I nigger never could resist a white woman and talking about white peoples money.




December, 2009 :

Troy Johnson is one of the nicest men you’d ever want to meet. His morals and family values are second to none. He could easily be considered a Man’s Man. I’ve had the honor of being around Troy for the last ten years. He seldom gives his opinion without supporting evidence. Well, most of the time.



See, Troy holds a BS from Syracuse University, an MBA from New York University’s Stern School of Business. He now makes his home in Harlem. Yeah, he’s educated, but first and foremost, he’s a black man, in all it’s splendor. See, Last year I was planning a trip to NY, New York to attend The NAACP Centennial Author Pavillion, 100 years 100 Authors. The list of great authors included Walter Mosely, E. Lynn Harris, Terry McMillan, Dr. Ben Carson, Judge Greg Mathis, Viginia Deberry and Donna Grant, Cornell West, Dr. Dorothy Height, Hill Harper, Bonnie Glover, Asha Bandele and many more.

Since I knew my boy Troy lived in Harlem, I thought I’d cut my cost by spending a few nights at his house. Well, I think I made my move too soon. After I hit Troy with the idea, he replied:
"Carey, as much as I would like to accommodate you. I have two teenage daughters living with me -- I'm not sure they'll be able to keep their hand off you!"



Now see, I think that was a soft version of "Carey, I've read your stories and there's no way in hell I would let you come anywhere near my daughters or my neighbors or my plants. I'll see you in the lobby"




Oh well, back to his site and this post. Over there we get it on. The topics of discussion can flow from books to the present state of gloom for the print media. One minute we might be talking about the war in Afghanistan and end up talking about booty in Brazil. Really, there seems to be a problem with brothas that slip off to Brazil to imbibe in Brazilian sex. Troy went to Africa this year - really.

But what about a time called now? This week the topic opened with Sapphire's new book and slowly but surely moved to the shoulders of President Obama. Don’t ask me how we got there. You couldn’t handle the truth. Anyway, in response to another poster, Troy said the following.... Troy:


"Robymarie, honestly I admire Cynique and Chrishayden more than I admire Obama. I supported Obama 100% simply because he appeared to be a viable Black candidate. I also hoped that he would help all people through his actions. I also thought he would help young Black folks, in particular, by the example he would set just by being president and proving anything is possible. Right now, unfortunately, it looks like I was wrong"


Listen, since this is a personal type blog, I can say that mess pissed me off, and let me tell you why. It's not because [he] used 2 regular postee's names to compare with Obama. It's because that statement lacked balance. So much so, it inspired this post. Listen, if you look at the dynamics of most boards, or blog spots, the strong and fearless voices rule the day.


Granted, they may not be "right" or saying anything worth hearing, but they have little fear of sharing their opinions. Some would say they are opinionated individuals. Considering that group of individuals, where does that leave the rest, or how would the rest be classified? Well, without getting too deep, I believe it's safe to say, many of them would/could be followers. Sure, they may have a mind of their own, but the average person has a "lynch mob" mentality. Many would not agree with the "lynch mob" analogy and I understand. However, who will admit they are easily lead or that they are quick to surrender their thinking to someone else. Yet, it still remains true – they are easily lead – thinking is one of the hardest things to do. More so, it’s been proven that if I person can’t say what’s on their mind, they seldom can do it. I didn’t say they didn’t want to speak their mind. It’s simply that they may not have a complete vision. Plus, many individuals feel the most comfort while riding in the arms of popular opinion. Come on now, you know we live in a vortex of monkey-see-monkey-do. Denial is an ugly thang.


Troy is a leader, and consequently, I believe all individuals like him should listen to their own words with a very discerning ear. People will get behind leaders that have a platform and a voice. Sure, I am fully aware that many do not see themselves as leaders or role models. However, that leadership role, which can be a conscience endeavor or not, can do harm. Considering all that I've said – opinionated individuals, followers, passive people, ignorance, lynch mob mentalities, popular opinion, entrenched haters, platforms, etc – It’s time I move to the silver bullet of this post.

If not he, then who? Who’s on first? If not Obama then who? Who’s on deck?

Yes, it is our constitutional right and responsible to voice our concerns about the ills of our nation. Yet, I wonder if some negroes have taken assimilation to a new level. In voicing our concerns regarding the decisions of our president’s policies, shouldn’t we consider the down side of doing so without a balance in our words? Seriously, no words, witticisms or excuses can wither that basic fact.

"But Carey, we can’t give him a pass".

Who said anything about a goddamn pass!?

Game is to be sold and not told. Shouldn’t we pass along the four food groups of love, compassion, understanding and trust, instead of the ugly stick of hate and disdain? I believe it’s in our best interest to UNDERSTAND that Barack Obama is standing on first. Shouldn’t we TRUST history. If history serves us well – in our hearts – we have to know he’s the best pitcher we have. If no, who so? Is it not wise to wrap our comments in LOVE and COMPASSION . He has enough entrenched haters that say nay, and bark at the moon.


I get so tired of reading the comments of Obama’s "back seat" supporters. What’s the purpose of giving a hint of praise only to be followed by conjunctions like "BUT" – "However" – "Yeah But" and "I told you so"? Those words tend to water down the preceding passage, and in some cases, completely negates them. The praise becomes a mere afterthought.


Miss me with that "we should tackle our problems with color blindness" bu*lshit. If you believe that shit, or if that’s your battle cry, I have to ask you who really is the blind mutherfuker.
Look, I realize there are some niggas out there that love talking like white folks but let me leave you with the following words from "our" forefathers:

The original 1892 text is:
I Pledge Allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all.


- Francis Bellamy, "The Youth's Companion"
Uuuuumm, my flag in 1892?

The current version went through many changes— as provided for under Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 4, US Code.

This is my version: I pledge allegiance to my dad and the truth for which he stands. Because he’s the leader of my home, I will be indivisible with liberty and justice for all.



~CareyCarey "A Black Man’s View"

18 comments:

LoudPen said...

Carey,

This was an interesting post. I have no idea what it was about, but, it was interesting. See Carey, you have this tendency to start off great & then somewhere in the middle, you just lose me. I thought the post was either going to be about Troy Johnson or a criticism of him, but, I really don't know what your point was. Sorry homie you lost me. If it makes you feel better, I do it too. :)

I will say that I too, disagree with Troy's statement. It was too focused on Obama and not the individual mind. Just b/c we have a Black president doesn't mean that every Black male is going to aspire to be the next Barack. In fact, that statement is just foolishness. The fact of the matter is, Barack is catching hell while rappers like Lil Wayne & other fools are getting money. Which would you want if you were a young Black male to get money & have three new children or to get death threats everyday & constantly be on the defense to the media & other critcs. I think most would chose the latter. The point is being president ain't easy & it's worse if you're skin has melanin, so let's not pretend like everyone's gonna do it & or even want to do it cause Barack did it.

The fact is everyone wants the easy way out which is why they don't think or do things that are difficult. Some ppl. are so content being mediocre that they don't strive for more. This brings me back to the point that if Troy Johnson & others want some lil Baracks then they better start a mentoring program that teaches youth to be more conscious & poltically aware. You can't just point to a picture of Barack & say "be like him". You have to teach them how. In school, you don't learn by looking at the example, you learn by applying it.

CareyCarey said...

See Long Pen, you did get the post. Well, it had a few segments. Yes, you were tricked into thinking it was going to be an assassination of my friend Troy.

I've been riding with him for so long that I didn't want to just link to his site so I went on a whimsical journey before I settled down. His inclusion in this post was simply what I mentioned "he didn't balance his critical view of Obama. I don't know what you read in his statement.

My look forward was a small peek into a world that didn't have Obama as president.

For you, this post might make more sense if you start from "it's time to get to the silver bullet of this post"

But I do understand your confusion.

CareyCarey said...

Long Pen,

Here's another take on Troy's statement. It's written by another member (of that site). His flavor is much smoother than mine.

NTSF wrote: "Wow! I’m a little surprised at that assessment. It’s somewhat disappointing seeing so many people jumping on the Obama is a failure bandwagon being that the man has been in office for less than a year. Yes, I have admitted to his missteps and I think the man (unfortunately) is learning as he is going. It’s like the awkwardness of riding a bike for the first time and correcting for mistakes as you go along. I personally believe that so much frenzied hyperbole and ecstatic hopes were heaped on this man, people seem intolerant of any mistakes or political gridlock he faces. They seem to believe he should have changed the direction of this country within the first quarter of his presidency"

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

These two stuck out for me, your words in italics:

"It's not because [he] (Troy) used 2 regular postee's names to compare with Obama. It's because that statement lacked balance."

"Didn’t you Uncle Toms know that game was made to be sold and not told.
Didn’t you notice that Republicans only voted bipartisan when the issue was
about war. Didn’t you realized that when you voiced your constitutional right to
run your mouth, we knew that some of you freedom riders would ride right into
our trap. We bought and sold you dumb ass niggas. You always did love the rope.
It looks like the pigeons have come home to roost. You’ve been hanging
yourselves. Too late now mutherfukers, guess who’s coming back to
dinner!

We made you look, you dumb ass crooks. You took you eyes off the real prize."


That 2nd part was brilliant on several levels, and reminds me how there's no privacy from Uncle Sam's new electronic snoop laws. It was like civil rights poetry and really grabbed me.

"Considering all that I've said – opinionated individuals, followers, passive people, ignorance, lynch mob mentalities, popular opinion, entrenched haters, platforms, etc...

In voicing our concerns regarding the decisions of our president’s policies, shouldn’t we consider the down side of doing so without a balance in our words?

If not he, then who? Who’s on first? If not Obama then who? Who’s on deck?"


Agreed. I see a number of black bloggers bailing out on Obama. It's subtle but it's there, and I think some of them are doing it without having any in-depth knowledge or done critical thinking about his recent policies or decisions, and the long history that got America to where it is now.

For those of whom the shoe fits, they're just going along with the mainstream news - which sells the game.

And this is where the rope comes in...

CareyCarey said...

Hello Kit, Thank You.

Again you brought life into my torn sails. I worked on that post for a few hours and Long Pen had me thinking I may have moved to fast.

You caught the rope thang. That's great. You even picked up on "the game".

Yes, many people are bailing out on Obama and in my opinion, their moves ARE subtle but they are taking people with them. But again, like you said (and I) it doesn't require any critical thinking to "get along". Nope, just go with the flow.

I wonder if I'll get any opposing views to this type of post? I am waiting. There are two sides to a coin.

uglyblackjohn said...

The problems with "Black America" are seen as ancillary by those with real power.
Obama is just one man playing his position for less than a year.
What would a "Great" President have accomplished with the same mess inhereted by Obama in the same time span?

In other words; It's too early to tell.

RiPPa said...

Well, you know I'm gonna say that Obama should be held to account as all politicians. The problem is, a lot of you Negroes were so anxious to have a Black president that just the thought of it gave orgasms.

That said, many of our folk have not been paying attention. Obama, though being the best guy who applied for the job. Or the guy with the best sales pitch, was and is very much beholden to the Oligarchy. And I'm sorry, said oligarchy ain't us, and will never be us.

But hey, I ain't gonna say much more because niggas wasn't hearing me last year when I said the way he dissed Rev. Wright was telling of what's to come. Instead Negroes was running around telling Jeremiah to shut the fuck up.

I will leave it like this:

With regards to Afghanistan...

Obama made a very risky move politically, that has the potential to bite him in the ass.

In his speech he gave a pullout date, but yet now, Generals and Clinton are saying pay no mind to that; that shit isn't absolute?

I smell a bait and switch...

But imma give the prez a chance as the Negroes say. I voted for him and I'll critique him as is necessary.

LINK

CareyCarey said...

Big RiPPa, could you throw me a bone. I mean, I have to ask you if my statement is valid.

If not he, then WHO?

Also, another part of my post centered on us hanging ourselves. I know you will agree that some negroes love a crowd - right?

If you noticed, I knew some of the dissenting views would come this way "I will continue to critique him". That's fine, it's our right and obligation to do so but don't give the game away.

I can't question your motives but I can ask you to look at the end results of your words. You, my man, can change minds, but you can't change history.

I think it's best to give criticism/love, wrapped in love and understanding.

"[Obama]was and is very much beholden to the Oligarchy" Bingo! There you have it.

So, again, if not he - then WHO!? That's as real as it gets.

2012... who's gonna love me now?!

For my money I'd rather send Black Sambo to the plate, instead of Republican Joe! {that's a joke... sort of}

Balance my man, balance.

Big RiPPa, you are a deep thinker. The average joe is NOT. I know you caught that (in the post).

Come on nigg*, give ol'CareyCarey some love *lol*

Don't have me put nitengale & Musing on yo' ass... LMBAO

FreeMan said...

I'm with LoudPen. I sat there reading it saying where do I jump in like a little girl mesmerized at double dutch!

Mizrepresent said...

Good Post CareyCarey and lol at LoudPen, but she got it. I was actually on that site and read the comments. I am not here to criticize anyone, but i do feel America is unjustly opinionated when it comes to President Obama. Sure we criticized Bush, but in all his 8 years how much made the media, how much did the media partake in? Not as much as now. I guess Ole Buschwick had some pull at the stations, newspapers, newswire etc...the kind of pull that President Obama doesn't have. I lived through close to 7 presidents and i have never seen the backlash that i see now...grant it, they killed Kennedy and his brother...doesn't that tell you how far the Left will go to get their way? It should. No we are not playing the race card here, we want things to change, we support change, but until we get behind one another, quit barking and put in some work, then we are no better then his oppressors. Our leaders do not come into this world as leaders...they don't get elected and just know everything right to do (check your history). Mistakes will be made, some handshakes are gonna take place under the table, it is what it is...it's politics...and i know your very smart audience knows this as well.

CareyCarey said...

Oh Miz, how I love your voice of sense and sensibility.

Let me count the ways. Well, I can't even add to your comment, you've said it all.

Dang, you make me sick. I can't even jack with you behind those words of wisdom.

I don't think my boy Troy is feeling this post. he may be reading this, so I'll hold any further comments on that subject *lol*

I see you Troy, so come on and join the party. It's your birthday.

RiPPa said...

Carey, I'm lost on what you're asking me. But lemme reiterate a small point:

Us black folks should realize, or should know and understand that this isn't a true democracy for the people by the people. That said, Barack Obama's agenda is not our or..."his agenda."

The fact that the Black vote or 96% of the African American voters cast their vote for him. In my opinion, should mean that we should hold him even more accountable than we currently do.

When you talk about history or mention it. I have to ask: with history in mind, what are we getting out of this deal? The CBC is currently going hard at him because of the way funds have slowly triclked down from the Stimulus to create jobs in urban centers where Black folks are hurting pretty bad. Is the CDC (Congressional Black Caucus) wrong to critique him or even raise this point? Especially in the face of a $30 billion dollar investment by way of more troops for Afghanistan?

And let's not even mention US dollars going towards non-military use in the country with the 4th worse GDP in the world?

If you ask me, not enough Negroes are speaking truth to power with the realization that Obama represents that very power.

CareyCarey said...

Okay RiPPa, I feel where you are coming from and I say no. No we (you,me, the CBC) shouldn't lay down and not voice our concerns. I've always tried to make that point clear, although I might not have.

Here's my point.

I'll start with my original question because I think it's the root of my concerns....If not Obama, then WHO?

Okay, hold that thought. Now, although our (you,me,the CBC) intentions (Critique) may be of good faith, what's at the end of the road? I mean, shouldn't we consider the risks against the rewards.

RiPPa, one of your championed quotes is that of James Baldwin. You know how it goes so I won't do it here. But in that quote it talks about the power of the written (spoken) words.

Along that line of thinking, I think you just posted a video of a foolass nigga that was used as a weapon against Obama.

So, I asks you, shouldn't there be balance in our criticism of Obama. Lets face it, some of the criticism is just plain talk that is not going to change one damn thank except give the haters more amunition to say "LOOK, the other negroes are agreeing with us. THAT'S the core of my argument.

My post implied that people are listening to our every word and as you well know (musing) they will take those words and run with them. That effort is somewhat impeded if your words of disdain or disagreement is accompanied by championing the man and his efforts.

You can beat some fools half to death but they will remain a fool but it's wise to feed them a little sugar to draw them closer to you.

In short, those that have an agenda, good intentions aside, should put a few mud flaps on that car. and look in the rear view mirror. I'll tell you what's back there, Jim Crow, Republicans, NO BLACK president. How soon we forget.

Our words are powerful and there's plenty of followers. I think it's only right that we watch what we hand them. Good intentions are one thing, but what's the end result (the price/the feasible payoff)?

I guess I am asking you RiPPa, if you can see how some may not be as big of a thinker as you and therefore they might need a lot more "good" along with the stinging criticism of Obama?

Then again, maybe you are saying we don't need Obama. And if that's the case. Who would you put in his place?

RiPPa said...

See Carey, now we talking!

Seriously, I love when grown folks can have a conversation which involves Q&A, or Socratic Questioning to convey thoughts.

With that said, I say the "haters", like the shit Rush Limbaugh did today (watch my next blog) will be haters any damn way. They don't need "us" as fuel to the fire in those "look at those niggers," moments. That said, I could give two shits about what those people say.

My problem or concern, is when critique is silenced and or not welcome because of the assumption that we share the same color as the president and we must remain somewhat sympathetic.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

That's where and why I come down on the silly novacane lull me to sleep talk some of us put out there with regard to the man and what we would like to see happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Obama asking for us as Americans to hold him accountable during the campaign. That said, we as a people should follow through on that just as he suggested.

Now as for that dude they "used" in that video? He was paid to do that video. Which actually speaks to what I mentioned earlier about corporations influencing policy within this capitalist society where the bottom line ain't me or you but profit margins. I wasn't trying to imply that the brother in the commercial was foolish. Instead, I was pointing out just how weak they were with that logic that because they oppose health care reform doesn't make them racist. The real fool was the brother in the last video AT the protest who was schooled by the old school cat - who is a community organizer in Cleveland by the way.

Why worry about "what we hand them," when they could give two shits about us to begin with. Fuck them - they ain't bringing shit to the table or voting on anything the man proposes anyway. What they are are people who are here to distract everybody from the truth and what's really going on.

That shit Rush said today about black people being depressed and disappointed with Obama. You think he gives a fuck that the REAL unemployment rate for blacks are above the 15% that the government is pushing? Nope, but we do. And as a result, of anybody in this country we should know that a closed mouth never gets fed.

And yes, there are some of "us" who criticize him who don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Those people I'm not worried about because nobody takes fools seriously.

Black people: stop it with this complacent shit and making excuses for Barack Obama - instead, ask yourselves what has he done for YOU specifically lately? Not saying that he hasn't. But if you don't know, he won't know... that is, unless we're just happy about the symbolic victory that is him being the president of the United States.

Lastly, as for your man you quoted in the piece above? I really can't qualify his statement or make assumptions on him without knowing exactly what he means by his statement. Honestly, it's a conversation that for me requires more information before I can pass judgment.

CareyCarey said...

Okay, we've beat this up and you know I appreciate your comments.

But I have to leave on this note. Aside from what the white man might be thinking and saying (I only used that as a side note) I was speaking more about our brotha's a sisters that don't have the skills to voice their own opinion, or the knowledge to understand the complexity of the issues at hand. and thus, are more prone to spread some mess they know nothing about.

Knowledge is king and stupidity is infectious. I say give them something to work with beside criticism. All I am asking for is a little more balance.

AALBC.com said...

Carey, well man I finally got a chance to read your piece about my statements. Weeks ago I printed it out to read, but had not gotten to it. The web site upgrade, and serious technical issues, have limited my leisure reading lately.

I was prompted to read your blog post now because I was checking to see if anyone had created or linked any Blogs in the New Thumper’s Corner http://aalbc.com/tc I noticed you blog clicked to check it out, then remembered your article.

Has it been 10 years you’ve been on the board! Wow time has really flown by. I’m honored that you would dedicate time, energy and disk space to a blog post where I’m the subject.

First about you staying at my house: Dude, I’m sorry you took offense at me not rolling out the red carpet. It was nothing personal; if it was ABM or NTFS the response would have been the same. I do not let people I do not know sleep over my house. Now it may seem like we are “friends” but, how can we be? Just because I’ve been reading your writing for a decade does not make you my friend any more than I would consider Toni Morrison a “friend”. Indeed, it was poor form for you to even make such a request. If you actually “knew” me you’d know this. BTW I was in DC that weekend ;-)

No hard feelings. Now if we ever meet in the real world, get to really know each other for real, I just might feel comfortable enough to let an ‘ole school playa sleep in the house with my teenage daughters.

About Barack: Now it would make little sense for me to try to defend, my statement based upon your reaction, and I’ll explain why: The short quote was taken out of context. Sure, it makes an interesting sound bite and useful fodder for your blog post. But it ignores the rest of the conversation even series of conversations on the discussion board about Barack Obama. You must realize I sometime I engage in hyperbole for effect, or to get a rise out of someone. I’ll even play devil’s advocate to prompt discussion on a given subject. Man, sometimes, I’m just talking shit!

Case in point: comparing two people I do not know (Barack and Cynique), on its face, is absurd. However I did it to make a point. To understand the point, who’d have to be familiar with Cynique, and the series of conversation we’ve had about Barack over the years. Sharing my quote here may work for advancing your agenda, but it would be inadequate to summarize me as a person.

When it is all said and done, like you, I enjoy participating in the discussion boards. If I was concerned about being a role model, and moderated my words under that assumption, it would not be nearly as much fun. If I can’t be a role model by being myself, then what is the point?

Again, I appreciate the attention, Brother. Peace.

CareyCarey said...

My man Troy, hold up. You wrote:.... "You must realize I sometime I engage in hyperbole for effect, or to get a rise out of someone. I’ll even play devil’s advocate to prompt discussion on a given subject. Man, sometimes, I’m just talking shit!"


Okay Troy, DUH! BINGO!

Reference your crib: My whole take on staying at your spot was just shit talking. As you know, humor doen't play well in a written form. In all my travels I've never stayed in another person home. Even when I visit relatives, I feel more comfortable having my own space. I did break that rule last year when I went to New Orleans. But I stayed in the home of my cousin whom I had known since we were children. Besides, there's no way I am sleeping in Harlem, with you and your daughters *LOL*.

Troy, you also said this... "About Barack: Now it would make little sense for me to try to defend, my statement based upon your reaction, and I’ll explain why: The short quote was taken out of context. Sure, it makes an interesting sound bite and useful fodder for your blog post"


Now we are talking, Troy. Come on man, the post wasn't about you. I used your picture as a way to promote your site and to move my central issue.

I thought I cleaned that up?

You didn't have to defend anything. I am sorry for the confusion. If you read the comments, you saw that you were not the only one that I lost with this post.

Okay, for the record, you're not a peeker head.

Yes, it's been 10 years. Ten years of letting you drag me across hot burning coals. You're getting richer and I'm getting burnt black.