Saturday, September 18, 2010

MONEY MONEY MONEY! WHO LIKES MONEY? Practice What You Preach, And Hold Your Hand Out.


I think most folks like money. It does serve a purpose, right? Well, in the basketball world, there was a player, Chris Mullen, that was so consistent with his long range jumper, that whenever he took a shot, the other players yelled "MONEY" or "LAYUP". See, a layup is the easiest shot on the floor, so "money" was like, money in the bank. In essence, the other players were saying his shot was a sure thing.


Today, this post is not about basketball, BUT to a large degree, money is on the table. Well, it's closely related to money, but more so about about the road to achieving great wealth. Now, of course wealth is subjective, but I am going to do my best Langston Hughes and Mr Simple to illustrate my point. But ooohhh baby don't you weep, because actual spending money, paperbacks(huge money), is at the end of this rainbow. So, I am going to drop a few secrets, if you're open, and decide to read along.


"Oh no Carey, don't tell me you're some type of financial advisor that's trying to sell us a get rich quick scheme"


No you silly rabbit, vanquish that from your mind. Put that cynic in you on hold, for a mere 4 minutes. After which, you can go back to questioning anything and everything that's not presently part of your world, or in your thinking pattern. Just follow along and see what you get out of this. Personally, I believe it's a layup. Well, I KNOW it is.


Langston Huges: Who knows the definition of EMPIRICISM?


Simple Freeman: That's when a person gets knowledge from money.


Huges: Well MadMoneyFreeman, that's not quite right, but let me explain. It's actually the doctrine that all knowledge is derived from sensory experience. In other words, it's the reliance on sensory observation and experience as the bases of knowledge.


Simple Freeman: Are you talking about smell & touch?


Huges: Yes, we actually have 5 senses of touch (feel), sight, hearing, taste, and smell.


Simple Freeman: Dats what I's was talkin' bout. When I see and touch money, I feel real good dat I had the knowledge to get me some.


Huges: *lol* Okay Freeman, but let me go a little deeper. What if I told you, I was on the cusp of an invention that brought a confluence of all our senses, at one distinct moments, which in turn would revolutionize a concept or activity that is already reaping billions of dollars?


Simple jjbrock, from The Old Black Church http://theoldblackchurch.blogspot.com/: Wait, you ain't talkin bout some kind of devil worship... are you?


Huges: *LOL*... No Ms Ann, but in some circles empiricism has been defined as quackery.


Ms Ann: Oh, that's good, because when I hear folks talkin bout makin' a bunch of money and doing it in an instant, I think about a person selling his soul.


Huges: Well, some people will sell their soul for money, and money could be on the horizon, but hold up because a fool and his money will soon part. However, they first have to get it, and in this case, it's all about our emotions and our five senses.


Simple Simon: I have my emotions under control and I am b-bottom broke! And, you're starting to sound more and more like Langston Hughes.


Huges: And you sound like Jesse B Semple. Listen, you've been one of my loyal readers, and you visit every day. So since I can't visit your blog, I think I'll try to address your remark right now. See, although many people believe they understand their emotions, I'd bet one hundred dollars to a bag of pig feet, that the average person would have a hard time naming 30 emotions, and there are many. Aside from that, I wonder how many people know about the basic versus complex, where base emotions lead to more complex ones. There's a related distinction between the emotion and the results of the emotion.


Keith http://ariesrules.blogspot.com/: Damn man, you're going a little too deep for me.


Huges: I understand, and you are not alone. Anger, for example, can be a "by-product" of irritation, exasperation, rage, disgust, envy, torment, dislike, vengefulness, etc,. On top of that, there are what some consider to be advanced emotions, such as optimism, love, submission, awe, disappointment, remorse, contempt, and aggressiveness.


Keith: WOW, you're killing me! And I thought I knew something about my emotions.


Huges: I am not trying to kill you but, just like you, other people often behave in certain ways as a direct result of their emotional state, such as crying, fighting, thinking they are being killed, or fleeing the scene. If one can have the emotion without the corresponding behavior, then hey, we all would be better off. Yet, unfortunately, we don't always recognize the exact emotions we are dealing with, and consequently, we "move" before we think. Neuroscientific research suggests there is a "magic quarter second" during which it's possible to catch a thought before it becomes an emotional reaction. In that instant, one can catch a feeling before allowing it to take hold. Granted, a quarter of a second is lightening fast, but all goodbye is not gone. I mean, the sooner we understand the emotion, or identify the emotion, the sooner we have to act according, and hopefully, correctly.


Simple Kit, from Keep it thrill: Now look, I am not simple minded and I have worked with people with mental problems, but what does any of this have to do with making money, and the word empiricism? I have a degree, and much of this is not going over My head, but could you please break that down for a single mother with a flat bank account. I's need money.


Huges: *LOL*... I was going to ask you for a loan, but let me see what I can do with your question. Well, if you think about it, the more awareness/"senses", we use at one exact moment, it increases our understanding of what we are dealing with. Okay, let me break that down. For example, if I saw a glass sitting across the room that was filled with a liquid, I would first use might sight to determine what it was. Now, if I got closer to that glass, I might be able to smell what was inside. I've used 2 of my god given senses, sight and smell. If I touch the glass, I could discern rather or not it was hot or cold. Now, if I dare drink the liquid, I could really tell if it was my tea or my doo-doo. So, now I am only left with one more receptor. I could have determined if the liquid was hot by listening for certain sounds. If it was bubbling, crackling or sizzling, I might believe that's it hotter than your everyday doo-doo ( if my nose didn't work) and thus, decided not to taste it.


Kit: Now you're talkin', I think I am getting something.


Simple Moan, aka Moaniplicity http://lmross-moanerplicities.blogspot.com/: She may have got something, but I am a poet and a writer, and although you may have waxed poetically, I am still at a quandary. I mean, since the word "experience" is part of the definition of empiricism, how does experience come into play. See, I am like Kit, I am not a field negro.


Simple Field Negro http://field-negro.blogspot.com/: Hold up, I am a field negro, and I want all of you to read the following.


Older, familiar leaders such as Rev. Jesse Jackson, Rev. Al Sharpton and NAACP Chairman Julian Bond, are under challenge by a younger generation of bloggers known by such provocative screen names as Field Negro, the freeslave and African American Political Pundit. And many of the newest struggles are being waged online."~Howard Witt-The Chicago Tribune~


Cont...Field's words: and here's the 411 On The Field. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States Raised in the house, but field certified. Jamaica is the land of my birth, but I consider myself a citizen of the world. I currently practice law in the city of "brotherly love". So, although I have a sheepskin, I am not apposed to hearing something that could put me and Mrs. Field in a cabin in the sky, and me out of this suit.


Huges: So you're that field negro they were talking about in The Chicago Tribune?


Field: Yes, and you can quote me or use anything I write anytime you wish.


Huges: *LOL*... Well, I've been told to beware of wolves in sheep's clothing... I mean, lawyers. But you appear to be an honest man. However, I have to tell you, I am thinking about having you and MadMoneyFreeman sign confidentiality statements *lol*. Nawl, just kidding. But tell me, you've had long nights sitting at tables, trying to prepare for tomorrows events. Wouldn't it be nice to reduce that time to a fraction?


Field: Come on, tell me what's on your mind.


Simple Miz of Misrepresents http://readingwritingblogging.blogspot.com/: Would you please come on. Why is it that when men get together, they always start shuckin' & jivin'? I've had coffee with you and you never dropped this on me. You know I am looking for love, and I want to find out how I can put all my love, as you say, in one place, to get the full impact of the experience. I need love!


Hughes: Well Miz, I am trying to give you some love without putting my hands on you. Knowledge is love, so hold tight. See, Moan asked how experience plays into this thing. Well, many employers ask potential employees about their work experience, and consider that more important than their college credentials. When I think about experience, it's only important when the individual remembers what they've done in the past. As you know, I've experienced many adventures in my life. Some of which I want to forget, and to some degree, I have. But let me say that again... experience is only important, when the individual actually remembers what they've done in the past.


Words like WHOA! http://wordslikewhoa.com/: We are following the big black field negro, so lets get rolling, it's hot out here.


Huges: I am glad you guys stopped by, but patience is man's best virtue.


Anna Renne is Still Talking http://nachalooman.wordpress.com/: You shole is crazay! Well, at first I was with sister jjbrock, I thought you were about to whip out the devil, but although I still think you are crazy, like coolcrazy, I believe I am following you. I am also from the islands (like field negro) so we know voo-doo men when we see one, so come on, keep talking.


Huges: Your blog is a christian blog, isn't it? Anyway, I am about finished. If I am talking about the remembrance of something or an experience that has happened in the past, I first have to give deep thought to that experience. I mean, what exactly do I remember about it? Okay, here we go. In simple terms, the more a person remembers about a past event, it stands to reason, he will be more able to duplicate it. Now, I am getting ready to get out of here before I run my mouth a little too much, and thus, give away too many secrets. But think about an event from your past, and then see exactly what it is that you remember about it??? Now, how long did it take to remember the specifics of that event? I will assume that most of you remembered 2 or maybe 3 things about that event, and in many cases, it boils down to nothing more than a visual image. Here's the big bang, what if that memory included most of the five God given senses, and you were able to quick-set them to accomplish a goal, over and over again? If you agree that the more "senses" we use at one particular moment, the better we remember that event or moment, then, I believe you are on the right path to understanding the core of this post, and how EMPIRICISM can reap great returns. Empiricism is the key, and emotions play a big part.


Now, that's over, and you can stop reading, but if you do, you might miss something very important. Well, if you're ready to go a little deeper, lets go.


Why Did I Fire That Pistol?

They hurt me, so I had to fire back! The pain made me do it, but please let me explain.


But first, there's a saying that goes... you can't keep it, if you don't give it away. I've come to believe in that phrase. Well, although I have a few published poems, I am merely a closet writer. I consider myself more as a storyteller. I mean, I do not possess all the technical skills to consider myself a writer. My sentence structure is frequently faulty, and I couldn't tell you the difference between a dangling modifier and a prepositional phrase, yet, I love to express myself. Having said that, let me start with a true story.


See, I've often said that I do not write much social commentary. Reason being, I don't know much about anything, except my own struggles, and the lessons I've learned along the way.
Consequently, they say if you are going to write a book, you should write about something you know. Well, today I am not writing a book, however, in reference to the above phrase "give it to keep it", I have to give something away in order to keep what I've found.


Three very very short stories, which are very very true:


First: I heard the shot, I felt the combustion, it was a loud thunderous roar. It felt as if air was trying to force it's way through my head. Six told me that no one would be shot, we were only taking guns to scare them. I'd seen people shot on television but it was nothing like that. Blood was spurting from the man while he lay crying, and moaning on the floor. I was only 18, I was involved in a bank robbery and a possible murder.

Second: Smooth was cool, he wasn't like the winos that everyone poked fun at. He dressed sharp and everyone wanted to be like him. People said he wasn't a junkie, but he used Narcotics. Smooth was the talk of the town... all the women loved him. I would later find out why. I wanted to be like smooth but I couldn't. I already had a family and I didn't even smoke cigarettes. One of my brothers was a state wrestling champion. He told me that he was good because he worked hard at his craft, harder than others. He got up earlier than others, sometimes at 5 AM. Nobody knew what he was doing. He did it his way. I latched onto that idea. I was young, the world was in front of me and I wanted it all. I wanted to be cool like smooth, a family man like my father, tough as my brothers and go to college. Women whispered their pleasures to me and I entertained the possibilities. Cool was in me, it had touched my soul. I was about to travel a road that I could never have imagined. No one told me, they didn't know.

Third: I entered the bank after giving the appearance of a man shoveling snow outside. Bank robbery is relatively simple, there are seldom guards. It's the escape and entrance that harbored my concerns. Customers and pedestrians are unwanted factors. After placing my shovel outside the door, I entered the bank, without saying a word I handed the tellers a large bag, suggesting they should fill it. One clerk fell to the floor, she was too scared and weak to comply. The other, with eyes widened, trembling from shock and fear, stumbled through the process. I was covered from head to toe. They couldn't tell if I was a man or a woman, white
or black. I didn't say a word, I walked out.

Okay, although they were very short stories, they do, of course, have beginnings, middles and ending. But today, it's not about those stories, it's about my emotional state while going through that period of my life. Take for instance the title of the second part of this post "Why did you fire that pistol".

The "pistol" is my analogy for ones emotions and/or mouth. When I look back on my early life, I now know my decision making process was fueled by emotions that I did not know how to handle. More importantly, I didn't know the source of those emotion, and therefore I couldn't identify them, nor discharge them in a proper fashion. How could I? How can anyone fix a problem, if they do not know the root of the problem?
Analogy: My car is acting up, I hear a knock, but I don't know where it's coming from. How do I fix my car? It could be in the engine [my brain], or, it could be something that would fix itself over time [maturity]. But over time (because I didn't address the first knock [immaturity]), my car finally crashes, it was the engine, the driving force of my car [brain's thinking process]. Oh boy, now I really have problems. I need my car, and the knock was coming from deep inside the engine. Woe-is-me, I don't know a thing about this engine [my inner most self]. I am stranded in a dark place (on the side of a road), and I don't have a road map [knowledge of why I do the things I do]. I am going to have abandon my car [death], or dig deep in my engine to fix the one I have.

At first glance, the solutions for my dilemma would seem to be easy to find, right? I could ask for advice, but remember, I'm yet to figure out the problem, so what questions do I asks. What, I have a problem but I don't know what it is, but could you help me anyway? Hold on, that sounds like a dog chasing his tail. But don't make your move too soon. Believe it or not, everything we do is based on some type of emotion. Some are more subtle than others and some are more lasting, nevertheless, they rule us. But let me back up.

See, I was a very young father. I was a father at the age of 18. At that time I was still living in my parents home. After the birth of my daughter, my father told me to leave his home and go raises my family. He said there was not going to be any fatherless children in his family. I was young, dumb, immature and frightened. Yet, I followed his orders, I packed my things. I was a kid with a girl who was also immature. How could she not be? She was only 17. And we had a child. I had to find answers.

You know what, this post is getting very long. I don't think I can do it justice by trying to end it, just for the sake of trying to shorten it's length. But I haven't given away all that I must, in order to keep what I've received.
More importantly, although this was a long post, and I wrote it in a humorous tone, there are huge financial rewards inside this piece.

Come on Carey, what do you mean?

Well, I am pretty sure that only about 100 people will read this post, yet, from that group, I would bet my last dollar that all of them have heard something about the evolution of Facebook, and the money the creators have received from that endeavor. So, when I talk about huge money, I'm talking about that kind of money. But this is not about an invention or concept that has anything to do with the Internet. It has everything to do with a process that completes a task, one hundred times faster than the present way, and in a way that will revolutionize an industry that is presently reaping billions.


But Carey, why you? What's your qualifications to make such a claim?


Well, why not me and why not you? Did you hear of the Wright Brothers or Tyler Perry before they made their mark? You may have stumbled across something that's outside your wildest dreams.


But Carey, if all this be true, why would you give away something so valuable?


First, I don't need money. Granted, we all need money to survive, but I am comfortable in my present lifestyle. So, the journey and the pleasures that come from them, at this stage of my life, is more important to me than many may understand. And, as I said, I truly believe if I don't give away much of what I've learned, I will not keep what I have. That idealogy is deeply ingrained in my heart. And, in this case I am talking about sharing an idea that many people can be a part of.
For instance, some people are great writers, but they have not produced a successful novel. I am not a writer, consequently i'd need someone like that. Bundini Brown couldn't throw a punch, but he was Ali's protector and his inspirational corner man. Some individuals are retired, yet still have great minds and tecnical skills. They may be looking for an oppurtunity to find a new passion and purpose in life. Who couldn't use someone with great thinking skills? Some people have great communication skills, yet are sitting at deadend jobs that bores them to death. Presentations skill are a must in any business venture.
In short, I've always believed there's a gift in everyone. They just have to find their fit, and take a few chances while believing in themselves.


So, leave a comment, ask some questions or hit my e-mail and maybe we can talk.




3 comments:

2cute4u said...

That was a looonngggggggg post. I enjoyed it though..
Money is an enigma most people still don't understand. It's a god, how you choose to overcome, manage and deal with it depends on it's importance to you.

Lil Bit said...

M-O-N-E-Y. Some folks seem to measure their worth by it. I think, it's not about how much of it you have but what you do with what you got. There's too much emphasis but on the "Almighty Dollar". It's not that serious. Sure, don't get me wrong, it makes the world go round, and it's nice to have, but some folks just shouldn't be allowed to have it, because they don't know what to do with it, they weren't taught how to have it, manage it, or keep it. They seem to think, they need it to be prosperous, what they don't know is they're already prosperous.

CareyCarey said...

Okay, I see the both of you hit on the money aspect of this post. And, it was very long. But Lil Bit and cutie4u, did either of you get anything from the first part of this post, or did I miss the boat?

Take money out of the equation, and then see what else I was trying to convey.

Lil Bit, I agree, I once was what we call "nigg* rich". However, a FOOL and his money will soon part. Yet, as my post implied, I am on the cusp of something that will reap huge financial rewards. But money is not that important to me anymore.

But back to the first part of the post. Did you catch or understand any part of that? Again, although I think I layed it out there, I could have missed the mark.