Monday, July 25, 2011

If I Was An Octopus and I Didn’t Have to Go To My Slave?

An Octopus and a slave;  how does that work?

Well I'm feeling kind of melancholy today so my mind drifted to a place of ease and comfort. Now, to do this right I have to tell you about the strength of an ant. See, he can lift several time his weight. If I had the strength of an ant, I could lift my car out of  snow drifts or carry ten women across the threshold at the same time.


 If I had the legs of a centipede I would be an Olympic gold medalist, or some type of super hero.

Speaking of super heroes, I went to my barbershop the other day; a place where everyone is a superhero if you listened to the sweet sounds of lies that permeate a gathering place of black men competing for the one ups-manship award. . It's a place were haircuts are secondary issues. Well, some go to tell grand lies. Others go to talk about sports. That reminds me, why do men tell big bold faces lies about their sexual prowess? This one guy said he had sex with 3 women for 6 hours. Now come on, most men would probably agree that 1 hour with 1 women is a good days work. I don't know exactly what he meant by "had sex" but I put on my best Richard Pryor and told him that he should go right home and tell his wife that he's a big-fat-cheating-funky-liar.

Anyway, I told the crowd that I wanted to be an Octopus. Wait... since I never know who's reading this blog and the barbershop is generally a place filled with men, I can't really say what I told them, but just use your imagination.

Now stay with me. I don't like to hear people cry and whine. I think crying should be a personal thang. Nothing tightens my jaws more than someone whining about some dumb mess. I know it's good to let thangs out, but don't they have doctors for that? The more I watch the news and listen to people cry, the more I realize how grateful I should be. I don't know if many of you have read some of my personal posts but I've stumbled a few times, big time. Yet, through the storm, I now find myself at a place of complete comfort. Really ...I was telling someone this the other day. I could lose a few pounds but at the present time, I do not have any health problems.

Most individuals, to some degree, have relationship problems. Today I am cool with that. I don't have any babies momma drama. And money seems to be an issue that drives many people crazy. They seem to never have enough or feel a need to buy something bigger and better. I've been "nigga rich" but today I am not and I am cool with that, I'm just "rich" in several ways. Really, money issues do not get much of my playing time. I've learned to stay out of the lanes of others. I sleep between 7 - 8 hours a day and I have one of those deep freezers that can hold a half  a cow, and I got one in there.

I wonder what others feel or think when someone says their life is cool? Do you believe them, or do we like to hear more of the negative stuff - which might give us a sense of togetherness? I mean, when I heard  a person was doing real good, I sort of wished I could find that same happiness but back in my mind, I thought nobody can be that content with life. I've come to believe, that we believe and understand that which is in our own realm of possibilities or past experiences.

Anyway, there is however a price to pay for this new place that I now find myself. Struggle and pain can become a way of life. It's strange but it's easy to feel bored and unsatisfied when the fire and misery is gone. Insanity I know, however, complaining and worrying has a strange way of  duping a person into believing they are doing something construtive. At the very least, it fills up their day. The absence of mess and confusion sometimes opens the door to new temptations of a negative variety.  It give temporary pleasure. But since I've just about committed all of the 7 deadly sins and created a few of my own and lived to talk about them, and ask forgiveness for them,  I sometimes find myself wondering - what next? What's next?!?

Well, here's where I'm at. I was reading the paper the other day and stumbled upon an article: Commencement Wisdom, Messages Apply to More Than New Graduates.

The article shared a few favorite commencement addresses. It caught my eye because I love to hear the opinions of wise men. The following gentleman's experiences propelled me to turn my ear in their direction. Before I give their names, based solely on their words, see if you can guess who they are.  One is a president.

1). "Wake up and stop dreaming"

2). "Truth ultimately conquers prejudice"

3). "A calling of service to others"

4). "There's always more to do"

5). "Become God's partner"

Answers:

1. Larry Page, Google founder - Michigan alumnus

2. Michael Kirby, Australian chief court justice - Indiana alumnus

3. Deere & Co. CEO Robert Lane

4. Barrack Obama, The President Of The United States

5. Bishop Desmond Tutu, University of North Carolina


Each message touched me. It's not that I could related (for the most part) to any of their personal paths to success, nor their personal lives.  Nope, I do not want anything they've "had" or "accomplished". They each talked about a bigger challenge after they reached a place that some would die for. I found something in each of the commencement addresses.

"The best reformers the world has ever seen are those who commence on themselves" - George Bernard Shaw

What would you do or become if all of your major problems/issues were moot points? If you could wake up and not have to go to your slave job, or work at all, wouldn't that be nice? How good would life be if you didn't worry about your lover, or a lover? Is money a constant issue in your life? Who would you be and/or what would you do if your storms produced no more tears?

No comments: