Saturday, July 20, 2019

3.) She Said I Was All Burned Up Monday.

 Hello,

Before we move forward on the devastating events of the week beginning Monday, March 11th, 2019, lets do a quick recap of the previous weeks activities.

On the previous Friday, March 8th, 2019, I was called around 5:30 am to give a urine sample. That's a monthly requirement for all clients. I had previous obligations for that morning, so following the guidelines of the agency I called my counselor and the program manager to arrange to give my specimen the following day. I called each of them at least 4 times each. I also left messages at the CADS Fairmount location. 

I did not receive a return call from either of them. I thought they 
had blown me off or didn't receive my messages. However, in retrospect, I now know that they did receive them. Instead of calling me, they apparently talked with each other. Then Leah, the program manager, called the front desk clerk at the CADS location in Rock Island. I've talked with the clerk who said that Leah didn't tell her  to inform me of anything, she simply told her to leave a message for Saturday's Med Clerk to inform me when I arrived that I had to give a urine sample before I could receive my Saturday and Sunday doses. What!? This cannot be happening. 

THE FRONT DESK CLERK
It must be noted that the guidelines says a client must be called the  day prior to a drop on Saturday. I did not receive a call. I was blindsided Saturday morning which lead to a maddening chain of events. 

Before going to the clinic the following Monday morning, 12 March 2019,  I called the program manager Leah Morris, one more time. I was feeling "sick" from the early stage of withdrawal. I had not received my medication for over 3 days so I was desperately trying to get all my ducks in a row which included writing the program manager a certified letter begging for an immediate meeting with her.



When I arrived at the clinic that morning, the door monitor, Shari gave me a strange look and said "What are you doing here, you're all burned up". That's slang for being done with something. It's generally used in a negative connotation. In her smart-ass street vernacular she was telling me that I didn't have any reason to be there that morning. Apparently she knew more than I did. She also appeared pleased that I was again being denied my medication. To add insult to injury she demanded that I leave the facility, right then. Of course I was flabbergasted and needed time to figure out what was going on.

Sitting there in my state of disbelief she said "come on, you have to leave because we have a new rule that clients cannot sit in here more than 5 minutes unless they have an appointment with a staff member." I told her I didn't know about that rule and I needed time to gather my thoughts since it's now the 4th day without my medication and my withdrawal is starting to hit full stride. She then literally ran out of the room to get another member of the crew, the nurse. I've nicknamed them The Hit Squad. Shari then pointed to a memo on a wall that stated after a client had missed 3 days of dosing, they had to be reinstated by the doctor before any type of business can occur. This note/memo was not referencing a regulation or government guideline. It was merely posted among the other litany of recovery information on the walls of the dosing area. There's an array of information on the walls without rhyme or reason. The walls are another area under the door monitors', Shari's control.
                                                                      
Okay, I know that form is on one of these walls. Or did I read that in the rest room? Damn, I know it's here somewhere. I better keep looking for it  before she changes another rule, or it's location.

 All jokes aside, the rules and regulations actually have relevant information.  Needless to say, these walls would not get an "E" for excellence. I believe these walls would get a grade south of the Mason Dixon line. In other words, this display of crucial  information doesn't pass muster. It's a birds nest of confusion.
These 3 pictures are the actual walls in the clinic. Quick, find form 48                                       

                                                                                   


Well, CADS 3 day dosing rule is not a regulation, but a "policy". 

There's an important distinctions between regulations and policies.

Laws, Policies and Regulations ~ Public Health Law Center


What is the difference between a law and a policy? ... 

policy document is not a law. But it will often 

identify laws needed to achieve its goals. Laws set out 

standards, procedures and principles that must be followed.

As we continue you'll see why that's important information to note, as we try to analyze the cause and effect of my predicaments.

After hearing Shari's flippant remarks and being forced out of the building I immediately tried calling the program manager. It was past the dosing hour when I finally reached her by phone at approximately 1 pm.  Her response to my set of problems forced me to realize that I was up against the near impossible. We were moving from the sublime to the ridiculous.



In reference to the 3 day rule regarding a patients’ right to dosing after they had missed three days, very important information was uncovered.  After talking with someone in Chicago, in the US Department of Health and Human Services, it appears that there has been a breakdown in communication at CADS facility, to put it lightly.  First, there is a difference between a client intentionally and willfully not receiving his dose of daily medication  and a client being DENIED his dosage (he/she does not have control of that) . In my case I was denied my Saturday and Sunday dosage (unwarranted in my opinion) therefore I should not have been subjected to the "3 day rule". Therefore, I should not have been denied my next dose, regardless of the doctor’s status. Lets say that again for those up in the cheap seats.

   "Therefore, I should not have been denied my next dose, regardless of the doctor’s status"

Additionally. if I was given a call on the Friday, prior to Saturday's request, as outlined in the rules that were posted outside the entry to the dosing area, all of this confusion, madness and headaches would not have happened!  OMG, say it again... none of this would have happened! Heck, I would have given my specimen 2 hours before closing time. As it turned out, the non-call was instrumental in me missing the closing time. It was not my fault at all.  Now say that again... IT WAS NOT MY FAULT Nevertheless they (the manager/CADS) took my dosages away, now they're saying I must wait for the doctor to return before I can ever begin dosing again.  You've read that correctly. The Center denied my doses, and they're now claiming that since I "missed" 3 days, I have to see the doctor before I can ever begin dosing again. Crazy crazy crazy I know, but this program manager apparently writes her own rules and regulations. Or, she's using a TWISTED interpretation of a rule that allows her to continue on this path of clients abuse that could lead to their death.

As it stood, I was in my forth day of withdrawal (off of methadone no less) and now they are telling me I need to wait for the freakin' doctor to return. And remember, the doctor has been ill and has not been coming to this facility for over 2 months and Leah knew this! Was this some type of cruel joke? Was this an evil means of retaliation against me? Surely Leah would not allow me to go into full blown withdrawal before she took some type of emergency action, especially since a client could die from cold turkey withdrawal of methadone.

 "COLD TURKEY" is a term meaning a withdrawal from a drug unassisted by a doctor and/or other medical aids. It's not suggested by any doctor to go "cold turkey" for any reasons. 
                                                     


The act of taking away my medications was unreasonable and highly neglectful and possibly criminal.There I stood on my fourth day without medication and the emergence of a full blown cold turkey withdrawal from the drug methadone knocking at my door. WARNING-DANGER! WARNING-DANGER! 


"You're all burned up Carey, what are you doing here?!
Come on you have to leave... like right now."


I left, but now its time for my lawyer(s) to take over for me and do all the "talking". I am through trying to be nice and understanding. They have treated me with no respect, just like garbage. Not to mention the physical and mental harm I am presently enduring.


But let's go over something that's arguably the most important information in this case. 
"Opiates are not commonly deadly when quit cold turkey, but there are exceptions to every rule. METHADONE, a replacement for heroin, is one of those exceptions. If it is taken in high doses for a long time, withdrawal can cause seizures, heart problems, and breathing  difficulties. What makes it more ironic is that this drug is used to reduce withdrawal symptoms from drugs like heroin" ~ An American Addiction Centers Resource

     But it gets more harrowing and cruel and ugly and OH MY GOD, criminal, yes it does. It soon gets completely unbelievable. 

This case completely floored me... and I thought I'd seen everything in my years of travel.. But this systematic cruelty took me by surprise. Now I am forced to say how low will they go?

During this entire ordeal I was not assigned a counselor. I felt as if they had purposely stranded me on an island with a damaged sail boat. The counselor I once had for my entire time at CADS, and  built a trusting relationship with, had also just recently quit CADS after working there for a number of years. He now works for the county probation office. People were leaving the agency as if they were slippery bugs and someone yelled   "RAID!"

Aside from various services being shut down when the doctor was not available, the existing clients were being shortchanged by the influx of new "staff members" who were being trained on the job. Yet, at the same time the clients were depending on them for various reason, but they couldn't. They could not depend on the knowledge of the new counselors to give them guidance and insight because the newly trained counselors could not give away something they didn't possess. That is, a deep understanding of CADS and the methadone program. In laymen s terms, the newly trained counselors could not give away something they did not own.

Why couldn't they retain counselors at the CADS location in Rock Island?

After being forced out of the building. I went directly home and began making phone calls.

 ADDENDUM: On July 10, 2019, 9:00 am in the morning I was going to CADS to receive my normal dose of medication. My girlfriend, Cookie, had to take me because I just had a stroke and we were trying to get to the hospital as quickly as we could. In retrospect I didn't quite know what was going on with my body but I barely could walk without her assistance. We arrived at the entrance to the back door. I was holding on to her tight while she was supporting most of my weight. Well, we were met at the door by the door monitor  (One member of The Hit Squad) who said that Cookie could not continue on. She said it was another new rule that only clients could go pass her door. She didn't care if the client was blind, crippled or crazy, she said the client could not be assisted past her door.
CHILDREN'S COLORING BOOK AND READING AREA

I reminded her that many clients have been assisted into the building by family and/or care givers. Many had to be assisted.  I reminded her that children even came in and played at the table and read books that were especially for them. She said she "did not care but that woman cannot help "you" any longer." My lady stopped me from acting crazy, as we say. In my condition I probably would have fallen on my ask-me-no-questions, anyway. So my girlfriend said she'd just wait outside the door for my return. I bit down on my teeth while I stumbled to the nurses station. 

After receiving my medication  I stumbled around the room like a blind man groping for something to balance himself on when the door monitor asked, "what's wrong with you anyway"? I wanted to tell her a thing or two.  But I probably would have fallen on my ask-me-no-questions, again anyway, so I just looked at her with deep contempt. I then stopped at the front desk to sign a release form for the hospital. I had a feeling that my medical condition would not allow me to return the next day. I had to sign a release for them. The front desk clerk tipped me to that little detail. She also told my girlfriend to come in to help me. I told her of Shari's new rule. She shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't know anything about that rule. She went outside and got my girlfriend. This front door clerk is obviously not a member of Leah's "Hit Squad". Yes, I'm being facetious but these folks are testing my last ounce of rational behavior. So I have to keep smiling before I lose my mind. End of addendum.

Back to my case, normally a client would start with their counselor when filing a grievance or initiating any actions related to the center, however,  at this time I did not know who I was assigned to. Over the last 5 months I have only met with an assigned counselor 3 times throughout this whole ordeal. I wonder how many rules  have been violated by having me hangout to dry and unassisted by a counselor? One time I did ask a counselor to assist me with one of the problems I was having with the manager, he said there wasn't anything he could do because he was not my counselor. So there I was, on my fourth day of withdrawal giving Leah a call.

But listen, just as good memories can bring a smile to your face, bad memories can evoke untold pain as well. Therefore I'll try to give this next event in a concise way but as quickly as possible to avoid bringing back too many hurtful memories.

When I told Leah of my predicament, especially my status of being in withdrawal and the reason why, she said she was fully aware of my problems but there was absolutely nothing she could do. She said I would have to continue waiting for the doctor. WHAT!? Continue waiting for this ghost of a doctor?!  That's the plan?! That's the only solution?!!!

Wait a minute. I was being told to wait for a ghost doctor who had not been seen at the client for the last 2 months, before I could even ask to be reinstated. That's unbelievable. I had heard the "rumors" of Leah's unpopular and unconventional rulings but not until they hit home did I really pay attention. This is beyond unpopular, this is down right evil. 


Leah's reasoning behind allowing me to go into withdrawal was...   "it was CADS policy" ...so there's nothing she could do. I questioned the details of CADS policy. I asked her if it was CADS "policy" to allow a client to lapses into a coma leading to their death before considering a way to stop the withdrawal process? I might as well have been talking to the moon or a rerun of the movie  "The Shining" starring Jack Nicholson as a recovering  alcoholic.  I may have received a better reply from Nicholson and crazy Scatman Crothers than I did from the catatonic (we call it playing the nut role) acting Leah Morris, the program manager.  In fact, this entire experience could be a chapter from Stephen Kings novel, INSOMNIA. I I could snap out of my insomnia and fall into a deep sleep, only to wake-up from this nightmare, I would be fine. However, I had no such luck, Leah Morris was actively engaged in a scheme that was destroying my life and killing me slowly.

Lets move on to the post "HERE COMES THE DOCTOR". 

Leah's entire schemed relied on her hiding behind the doctor. She knew she could throw him under the bus and he wouldn't feel a thing. Consequently it was incumbent upon her to gain the new doctor's trust while keeping him and the others in the dark. 

In essence Leah used their "titles" to form a staff. However, for the most part they were only a staff by name only. Also, the last doctor was ill for much of the last quarter of his employment, so he was virtually "a lame duck" doctor who signed whatever was presented before him (if he even signed them). The new doctor told me he was a "team player" so he just went along with the "staff" (who were controlled by Leah and her HIT SQUAD). 

Anyway, I eventually had no choice but to wait until Tuesday, March 12th 2019, for the doctor to arrive.  

SH*T!   The doctor did not arrive that Tuesday morning. Now I am really freaking out. It's day 5 and I am at my wits end. My withdrawal had taken hold and I was scared. However, I was not going to give Leah and her crew the satisfaction of seeing me cry and wither in pain. I tried hard to maintain my composer and keep my hopes alive. My eyes were watering and I felt like throwing up but I had to hold on. Suicide becomes an option when depression sets in.  However, I believe this fighting spirit kept me alive and hopeful. I just knew Leah would take some type of emergency action.

However, listen to this, after reaching her by phone that day, she again said there-was-nothing-she -could-do because of the clinic's policy. WHAT!? NO WAY! No you didn't just tell-me-that? I wanted to give up but I didn't know how.

It must be noted that a policy is not a law. Leah is the shot caller, the big baller, the man, the biggest button pusher at CADS. She writes many of the rules and policies at CADS. I am sure you understand what I am implying, right. Nuff said. 

This action of hers of denying my medication because of a CADS policy is highly questionable behavior on her part. Not to mention the questionable chain of events that lead to the removal of my previous 3 doses in the first place. Remember it was her dropping the ball by not calling me on Friday. This should not be happening but I'm paying the price for her negligence.

 That's right, come to think of it, a simple phone call (1 dang call) would have done the job. Something like... "Hey Carey, we got your call about your request. Okay, give your drop tomorrow and be there before 8 am. Thank you. Bye."

BINGO-ZAPPO-DONE, it's all over,  But nooooo, Leah apparently had a different agenda. It's was a cruel and neglectful agenda that I am still paying for. . 

But wait, Leah was not finished. This story does not end on that Tuesday in which the doctor didn't arrive for his normal business hours.  Leah said that I would have to wait again to see if the doctor arrives in 2 more days, the upcoming Thursday, March 14, 2019 (48 MORE HOURS!). Remember, we are waiting on a doctor to show up, and there is absolutely nothing the program manager can do because the policy demands it. I am calling B. S. on that BS.

And, by this time, I am now in the grips of a heart pounding, mind wrenching, debilitating withdrawal.... please I screamed, somebody help me!

For those of you who do not know, let's put this dilemma into its proper perspective. 

Lets see how this works. If I should die from my withdrawal before the doctor arrives, who has not been seeing clients for the last 2 months, then so be it, because the policy forbids the program manager from taking any actions that would, even temporarily, stop my withdrawal? Is that right?

But I think we all can agree that this is a bunch of BS, right. How can a reputably business have a policy so ambiguous that it could cause a person's life to slip away?  There is not a policy that would allow me or force me to stand idly by and watch a person die when I could have alleviated the problem. There is no way a sensible person would ever allow that to happen.

Who has heard of the words "Civil Disobedience"? 

Even if there was a ridiculous law that said a person should die before giving them a medication that would keep them alive (if only temporarily or in an emergency) a sane person would break that law and face the consequences of their good deed. That's known as civil disobedience. Some believe they must obey their conscience rather than an unjust human law. Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. comes to mind. The driving idea behind the concept is that we are morally responsible for the support of aggressors, even when such support is required by a law or a policy. OUCH! BINGO! Can anyone say slavery or dictatorship or Donald Trump.


Well, apparently Ms. Leah Morris views her world from a different paradigm than a normal compassionate human being.  In fact, this fiasco of denying my medication continued past Tuesday the 12th, past Wednesday, March 13th, past Thursday the 14th and not until Friday morning March 15th, 2019, did I receive  medication! 8 unbelievable wicked days that I will never forget. They damaged me!

However, the jury is still out, we are still trying to figure out what was on the program manager's mind?  But we do know she's blaming the doctor for this fiasco. I kid you not. You'll have to read one of the earlier posts to see exactly what she has said, and why she believes it's the doctor's fault that I was taken to the brink of death before I was given a medication that was wrongfully taken away in the first place . And, she obviously believes you and I are complete idiots who are as dumb as Henny Penny, who thought the sky was falling down.

Look, since methadone first arrived in the Quad Cities in the 60s, I have personally never seen or heard of anyone successfully withdrawing from it. I mean slow taper withdrawal with a doctor's assistance, nor cold turkey, I am yet to see it happen. The use of this drug does not have a lot of happy endings. According to those in the know and not afraid to say it, this drug should only be used as a last chance hope for those severely caught-up in the evil grips of addiction. 

Most individuals fall into it's arms unaware of the "side affects" and "other serious issues" that are on the horizon if and/or when they start using this drug. How does that happen? Marketing and the root of all evil, money honey... makes people do things they wouldn't normally do. 

However, if you think the aforementioned journey of mine was filled with unimaginable cruelty, keep reading because you haven't seen it all, yet. You're probably thinking she almost took his life, how much worst can it get? 

Well, read the post HERE COMES THE DOCTOR. Then, you make the call. 

THE DOCTOR

But if you want to take a break, then go to the post The Victim - The Man - The Family. There are a few good memories in that post. I am done crying for now.

  

No comments: